Can't find the cbox? Your screen's too small,
so we've put it at the bottom!
   New Reply  New Topic 

There's Klingons on the Starboard Bow..., (not really) tag: Harold!
Brennan Smalls
 Posted: Apr 13 2012, 11:47 PM

Exodus Passenger

The Nerdy Nervous Guy

BIO
Played by: Lexi

Going down into the Hold wasn't exactly something that Brennan did with frequency. He never usually even had a reason to do such. Today, though, there was reason enough. An issue had popped up while he was going over the diagnostics screenings earlier in the afternoon. He hadn't been able to pinpoint the problem's exact location, but he had at least gotten to the point that it seemed the problem crossed over with the mechanics in the hull.

He had contacted those involved in hull repair, and they had agreed to find someone to meet him early in the evening to check things over. Perhaps it was nothing, or at most, some problem that was an easy fix. Brennan didn't like the idea of something major popping up so early into the journey. He figured the urgency of the screening would have showed up if the problem need immediate care, but he'd rather be safe than sorry.

Though the Sub-Deck, where most of the engines and whatnot were located, left much to be desired, the Hold was perhaps even more desolate than the floor above it. It was obvious that most people weren't expected or even encouraged this low into the ship, as passengers would have no need to be down here. But things like hatches to the outside of the ship were down here, as well as some of the more tangible diagnostics for what was going on in this machinery.

Peering around, Brennan made his way towards one of the rooms near the hull mechanic exit points that hosted a variety of computers for surveillance of the hull system. When he arrived, he nodded towards the other man and tried to give him something akin to a smile. His nervousness edged into it, though, and he simply looked awkward instead. "Brennan Smalls, Chief Technical Officer." He nodded as a sort of greeting. "I c-came about the possible issue that crossed over with the hull mechanics?"
PM>>
^
Harold Jacobs
 Posted: Apr 14 2012, 01:35 AM

Inactive

BIO
Played by: Jack

While the hold was still a somewhat unfamiliar place for Harold, he already had a strong dislike for the area. It was mostly due to the constant thrumming of the ships engines. The white noise served as a near constant distraction for Harold, and his attempts to tune the sound out had proved futile. Luckily the surveillance room did a decent enough job in muffling the noise to where he could at least hear himself think. Around this time he was usually back in his quarters getting cleaned up or wandering around the mid-deck looking for a way to kill some time. In some ways Harold was relieved when he'd been asked to come in to take care of the issue at hand. At least it gave him something to do.

He paced methodically around the room, periodically glancing over at different monitors to check on the status of his diagnostics. He'd been in the hold for some time now checking and rechecking the systems hoping to get a better idea of what he was dealing with. His earlier attempts had given him little information other than the fact that the problem existed somewhere within the starboard bow of the ship. Harold continued to pace until he heard a soft short tone indicating the diagnostics had completed. Once again the diagnostics had come up with the same results. A slow aggravated sigh escaped from Harold as he lowered his head, rubbing his forehead as he did so. It was at that moment he heard Brennan enter the room. He slowly turned himself to face Brennan, returning his awkward smile with a small tight lipped one. "Harold Jacobs. I've already been informed of the issue."

Harold quickly turned his attention back to the completed diagnostics once more before readdressing Brennan. "I've been trying to figure out the source of the problem, but the only information the diagnostics is giving me is that our issue lies somewhere in the starboard bow of the ship." As he spoke he gestured towards a digital image of the ship towards the problem area. "I'm going to need you to stay here and monitor the systems while I go out and see if we can't figure out what the problem is. I've already dialed in the comm frequencies for station three so we'll be able to communicate while i'm out there. Do you have any questions or are you ready to get started?"
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
Brennan Smalls
 Posted: Apr 14 2012, 06:57 PM

Exodus Passenger

The Nerdy Nervous Guy

BIO

Brennan had never met the other man before, and so he couldn't help but be a little nervous. He sighed inwardly; was it necessary for him to be like this with everyone new he met? Harold, as he had introduced himself, was about his height, but much more stocky compared to Brennan's wiry frame. It wasn't exactly as though the man was acting imposing or anything though. Professional and to the point, just as Brennan preferred.

Diving into things, he nodded in response. Brennan pushed his glasses back into place with a quick shove of his forefinger, then leaned towards the little digital representation of the ship. Reaching forward, he pressed a button that zoomed in a little and showed a little growing red area of where the problem was most likely to be found. It wasn't a perfectly exact point, but at least they had an idea of the area it was on the starboard bow.

When Harold spoke of having set up the communications system, Brennan nodded. Turning towards the station, he glanced over the controls. He knew how to use them, though he obviously didn't do it frequently. He could certainly take care of things on his end. However, how Harold was ready and willing to go outside the ship to take care of the maintenance there was beyond him. He would be fine working on such things inside, thanks. "Of c-course," he said, forcing a bit of a smile on his face to show that, despite his stutter and seemingly nervous disposition, he was perfectly ready to get down to work and do this.
PM>>
^
Harold Jacobs
 Posted: Apr 15 2012, 01:56 AM

Inactive

BIO
Played by: Jack

Harold couldn’t help but smile at Brennan’s apparent nervousness. He’d learned to hide his anxiety over the years, though it didn’t mean it wasn’t still there. “Good to hear. I’ll go get suited up.” Without a second thought Harold made his way to the door, passing through the main area of the hold to a nearby airlock on the starboard side of the ship. His suit and all the equipment he needed were already sitting neatly next to the airlock controls. He wasted no time in getting his gear on, which included the suit itself, a large backpack which contained his air supply as a few power tools, and a separate device resembling a large suitcase. The purpose of this piece of equipment was to hook up to the various systems within the hull, scanning the systems within the hull itself before sending the data it collects back to Brennan.

Once Harold was ready he pressed a button on the controls to the airlock which prompted the door to open. Before stepping inside he opened up the comms to Brennan via a small digital touch screen built into the left wrist of his suit. “Alright, I’m stepping into the airlock.” Harold began to take slow heavy steps inside before hitting a few commands on his wrist interface, which caused the inner airlock door to close behind him. “Depressurizing.” As he spoke he was punching in more commands, prompting the pressure to leave the room. As this happened he could feel his ears begin to pop. Even his pressurized suit could only do so much against the vacuum of space. Finally with a few more commands the outer airlock door began to open.

Becoming weightless was something that, no matter how many times he went through it, took some adjusting for the first few moments. The sensation of the ships gravity releasing it’s hold was always startling at first, but also felt freeing in a way. Harold took a moment to get his bearings before gently pushing himself out of the airlock. He steered himself via air valves on his suit towards the starboard bow of the ship, keeping his eyes open for the starboard control node. The node was protected by a removable paneling, and was connected to all systems adjacent to it. Once Harold was in the area he activated magnets on the soles of his boots, planting himself firmly over the correct panel. He quickly opened the paneling before pulling a cable out of the suitcase style device before connecting it into the node. “Okay, I’m going to individually test each of the hulls systems. As I’m doing this I’ll be relaying the information to you. I need you to be on the lookout for anomalies in the system. This should help us pinpoint the location of the problem. I’m starting the tests now. “ With that Harold punched in a few more commands on his wrist interface, which initiated the tests.
PM>> EMAIL>>
^
The Push
 Posted: Apr 20 2012, 02:41 PM

Admin

BIO
Played by: Unknown

Unfortunately for Harold, at least, there was a small grouping of space debris the size of softballs heading his way, and that debris wasn't exactly moving slowly. The Exodus' sensors had only just picked up on the proximity of the projectiles . . .

--------------------
PM>>
^
Brennan Smalls
 Posted: Apr 21 2012, 03:09 PM

Exodus Passenger

The Nerdy Nervous Guy

BIO

Brennan stood near the large set of controls whilst Harold went to suit up. He tried to re-familiarize himself with at least the basics, and he felt pretty confident at least with those. The more complex parts of the system would probably not be used, but he tried to look over those as well. He figured that as long as he knew how to use the communications part of the system, as well as the diagnostics, he would do just fine.

He had just sat down in the chair before the panel when he heard Harold's voice over the communication system. Brennan slipped on the headset that would more easily allow him to talk back to Harold, and sat up straighter in his chair. "Good luck," he said to the other man. There was no way Brennan could ever do something like that, trusting his life to the vacuum of space. The fact that he loved ships was perhaps a small feat in this regard, but to actually go outside the ship in just a suit and trust the magnets and cables to keep you alive? That was a different story altogether.

His nervousness was already starting to reside as the excitement of a job settled in. Besides, this was a very serious undertaking, and his brain at least managed to concentrate more on this academic pursuit rather than the physiological effects of his over-heightened nerves. The computers reflected what Harold was saying, in regards to the depressurizing room. Harold left the ship a few moments later, and Brennan took a deep breath. He was out and things were serious now. There was no room for error.

As Harold began to attach the nodes, Brennan stared critically at the computer monitors before him as they began to spit out data. They practically rushed across the screen, but luckily Brennan was well skilled with reading such a flash of coded material. The diagnostics showed nothing for this particular area of the ship, and Brennan shook his head, despite the fact that Harold would obviously not be able to see him. "Not seeing anything right here. It looks clear." That would cue Harold to move it along the ship to seek something elsewhere.

The monitor to his right began to bleep alarmingly, and Brennan's eyes widened in sudden terror. "H-Harold!" he stuttered. "I'm picking up a mass of debris headed your way!" Space debris could certainly be dangerous. God, would he be able to move quickly enough? "It's moving pretty fast. Get somewhere safe!"
PM>>
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options   New Reply  New Topic 

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
Escova Time, Space, and Chips RPG-Directory 

CBOX